vintage butterfly red

Saturday, July 7, 2012

Addicted to books

Hello,

My name is Salt and I'm a book addict.
I never recognized by addiction to books, maybe I was in denial for all those years. It started with A Wrinkle In Time. I was nine years old at the time, a dark and stormy night with nothing to do. I decided to try something new. I decided to read a book.

It comes and goes. The urge to find someplace else to fall into, to slip away into a world of my own.

I didn't know how bad it was until a few days ago. I haven't been able to find a job in over 15 months. I missed my car insurance payment and my sister had to boot the entire bill. During this depressing time the reading urge hit me in the middle of the night.

I flipped over every sofa cushion, cleaned out every drawer and dug through my pockets to scrape up a measly $4.20. With that money, I flew to the nearest second hand bookstore.

Books are my comfort food. I can't help it. The knowledge within them, or just the promise of a entertaining read is too much for me to resist.

I guess you know you're an addict when you spend your last few dollars on books.




No comments:

Post a Comment